Ask Candy: Is a Washer & Dryer in the Master Good or Bad?

Share News:

A reader writes:  “What is your professional opinion of having a washer dryer in a master suite closet? I have had people either love it or hate it, so I had my architect draw up a separate utility room that would be accessible from the kitchen in my home at Westlake. I also have a full size stackable area with a pocket door upstairs so it is not the only W/D area in the home. BTW, great homes, less than $500,000…

Gosh, I’m torn on this. This is like the question, is it better to have the laundry room up or down? (I’m bad: I say, both.) I tend to be a “downstairs laundry” off the garage door type-gal, but when we’ve stayed in vaca homes (like the gorgeous one last weekend, at Cinnamon Shores) where the laundry room was off the master, I loved it. I mean, this is where all the laundry ends up: clothes, towels, sheets. In my perfect home world, I would have the laundry in or off the master and then have a small stack unit in the kitchen for kitchen towels only. I have this thing about laundering kitchen towels (“toallas de cocina”) separately from any other items in my household because I’m so OCD. But others worry about leaks from the machine that might destroy your clothes, or make the closet smell damp. I don’t know, what do you think?

Reader Interactions

Comments

1. Va Dietrich says

I have a laundry room off the master in my house in Northern California. This has been my favorite positioning for a laundry room. Other homes I've lived in have the laundry off the garage, near the kitchen. Not as user friendly in the middle of the night!

2. Va Dietrich says

3. Jeff Duffey says

Question: Is the master closet smaller than other comparable homes due to the W/D? If so, then I would understand if people didn't like that arrangement.

Otherwise, with a stackable W/D upstairs as well (assuming that's where the guest rooms and bath(s) are) I wouldn't waste the money adding a laundry room off the kitchen.

4. Jeff Duffey says

5. Lisa says

why not have the W/D where the dirty clothes are instead of schlepping all the dirties downstairs to be cleaning and then schlepped back upstairs to be put away? I say 2 laundry rooms, a stackable unit for the clothes upstairs and a larger capacity pair for bigger stuff downstairs. I've lived in VA where the laundry was in the basement! Whoever designed that house never did laundry!

6. Lisa says

7. Candy Evans says

Lisa, OMG I grew up in a home with laundry in the basement. Awful, but at least we have a laundry chute! I will say I sure got a lot of exercise running laundry up the stairs!

• Ed Murchison says

I live in a single story house and my laundry was next to the kitchen. I hated dragging my laundry t0 the other end of the house. When I remodeled, I moved it to the master between the master bath and the master closet. It is the most perfect spot!

8. Candy Evans says

• Ed Murchison says

9. Alex Roostaei says

every 2-story house should have two W/D areas…you're seeing more and more of this in newer construction. As someone else said, why drag dirty clothes up and down stairs.

as for in a closet? is there a separate closet for this or does it just take up room in the Master Closet?

• Bryan Crawford says

Great comments from everyone. Just to clarify the master bedroom has 2 separate large walk in closets. The larger being hers 7ft x 13ft. The back area of that closet was setup for Full size units that are to be stacked. So you lose 31 inches on depth and 27 inches in width at the rear of that closet ,but it is really large especially for a 1937 home since one entire pre-existing bedroom was converted into half her closet and half master bath. The other area upstairs is located next to the bath and in the hall way between the bedrooms upstairs. It can fit full size units as well or a smaller capacity stackable unit, but this is not a separate room either, just a pocket door. Thanks for posting this question Candy!

10. Alex Roostaei says