The Tax Doctor is In & Busy: Can You Protest a Substantial Residential Improvement?

Share News:

A reader writes:


Can you protest a 2011 valuation on a substantive residential improvement value increase on an old home to offset a land decrease (the 2011 value is the same as 2010). No change in valuation from 2011 to 2010, but there’s no way the 2010 residential improvement was correct.


Absolutely. This is the exact situation that I am seeing in the Preston Hollow area. The District has had to lower land values, but in order to keep revenues high, they have correspondingly increased the improvement value. You should protest this! The District is playing games, and the taxpayers that really suffer are those with the older homes in need of work.