Eighteenth Century Philadelphia Abode Home to Nation’s First National Anthem

PhiladelphiaWhen Philadelphia lawyer Joseph Hopkinson and his wife Emily settled into their home on Spruce Street in 1794, the country was still in its infancy. Construction on the home itself had been completed just three years prior, by cabinet maker Jesse Williams.

Hopkinson saw the country grow from a collection of colonies that banded together for independence from England to a country, watching his father, Francis, sign the Declaration of Independence. Francis Hopkinson was also credited with designing the first Stars and Stripes during the Revolutionary War and later served as governor of Pennsylvania.

But the junior Hopkinson would forge his own place in U.S. history, penning the lyrics to “Hail, Columbia,” the first national anthem — a song that would remain so until the 1890s — at his home in 1798, using a melody written by Philip Phile 10 years prior.

They would raise their 14 children in the home, which also has its place in the Library of Congress, where one can read about the composition and use of “Hail, Columbia,” and also see photos of the home from decades ago.

Nowadays, the song is still in use as the official anthem for the Vice President, but before that, it was the anthem for the President, before it was replaced by “Hail to the Chief” officially during the Truman administration.

And now, 227 years later, the home is for sale, ready for its next family of history lovers to come in and continue to maintain and love the home.

The 4,100-square-foot, five-bedroom, five-bath home has been so well maintained (and its history honored), that you can fairly envision Hopkinson putting quill to paper.Three stories high, plus a dormer fourth floor, the home immediately signals its history with a historical marker just to the left of the blue front door.

A 30-foot long hallway leads to two sitting rooms with wood-burning fireplaces surrounded by floor-to-ceiling moldings. That hallway ends with what Williams called “the piazza,” back in 1791.

Throughout the home, wide-planked pine floors are period-appropriate and beautiful.

Off the piazza is the original staircase, complete with its 18th-century handrails so intricate its listing agents, Mary Genovese Colvin and Margaux Pelegrin with Compass, say you’d swear they were created with the aid of a computer, but are actually the result of master post-Revolutionary War craftsmanship.

Up the stairs are the second and third stories of the home. Off the left of the piazza downstairs is a sunroom. Past the staircase is the original kitchen (including its cooking fireplace), which now serves as the dining room. Off the dining room is the newly-built custom kitchen, with floor-to-ceiling cabinetry, pull-out pantries, a professional gas stove, dual-fuel convection oven, and a Wolf steam oven.

On the second floor, a sitting room and master suite await. The master suite has a walk-in closet, and a custom bathroom complete with a wide walk-in shower with porcelain walls and seating, a Toto toilet, and a double vanity. Both the bathroom and bedroom have fireplaces as well.

The third level offers two more bedrooms and a bathroom. Stairs lead to a dormer fourth floor, which is home to another bedroom and bathroom, a separate living room, and a cedar storage closet.

Outside, a landscaped garden manages to include the two-car garage.

The home is located at 338 Spruce St. and is listed for $2.4 million.